Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Zucchini Cheddar Frittatas



I'm sick.
I've been sick.
For a couple weeks now.

One day I noticed that my throat was kind of sore. Within an hour I felt so sick that all I could do was lay in bed. It happened so fast.
Now, a few weeks later, I still have a really bad sore throat.
I thought it had gone away, but two nights ago it started hurting again.
This morning it hurts so bad I can't even talk. :( 
Luckily it's just a sore throat, so I can still function through-out the day.




So; I actually got around to making the frittatas yesterday! 
They were pretty good.
I didn't think Pops would eat them, but he came home from work hungry.
He said it smelled really good in the house, heated up the rest of the frittatas, and ate them all!

I still haven't told him there was zucchini in them! ;-)
Ingredients:
cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 medium zucchini, shredded on the large holes of a box grater
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
7 large eggs
2/3 cup half and half
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray 12 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a medium saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until just simmering. Add the zucchini and shallots and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until wilted and soft. Pour off or drain any excess moisture. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and about 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

 



3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, cheddar cheese, thyme, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with a few grinds of pepper.
This is the perfect time to have any little helpers come help out!




4. Divide the zucchini mixture among the muffin cups. Top each cup with the egg mixture, dividing it equally among the cups. I used a 1/4 measuring cup to do this. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffy, golden brown, and just set.

5. Run a dull knife around the outside of each frittata and remove. Serve immediately.
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment