Thursday, March 17, 2011

How to Wash Cloth Diapers

       Two beautiful days in a row!

        The kids were at daycare yesterday, so I spent most of the day outside; working in my garden.
        I cleaned out all the beds and turned all the dirt. I had planted four strawberry plants last spring. Thing spring, they were all over the garden! I ended up pulling 3-4 plants. I went out today to look at the garden, and it looks like I killed the 4 that I left. :-/
        Hopefully at least ONE will survive!

        I also washed all of our cloth diapers yesterday. Thing Two is big enough to fit into them now. Well, he has been for awhile, I just haven't gotten them out.

      





Here is how I wash my cloth diapers:

1. I let my diapers soak in cold water before washing them. Pee diapers I take off the baby and place right in the water. Soiled diapers get scraped into the toilet, rinsed thoroughly, and then put into the cold water.

2. Once I'm ready to wash the diapers, I ring them out and take them to the washer. You want to wash your diapers in HOT water in a large load. Use 1/4 the amount of detergent you normally would for a large load. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to the wash.

3. When your diapers go through the rinse cycle, rinse in COLD water, and add 1/2 cup white vinegar.

4. Put your diapers through a second rinse. 

5. Line-dry the covers or diaper shells. Put the inserts into the dryer.
You're done!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you could wash the covers in hot water. I usually use cold water or I split the covers and prefolds up into seperate loads. I'll have to try it like this. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete