Monday, November 22, 2010

      I have to apologize for being MIA for awhile. I had way too much to do, and was falling behind on everything. The stress was too much; but after having a rested weekend with some fun in there I feel much better. I was even able to get all the laundry folded, with Pops' help, that had piled up EVERYWHERE.
      I've got most of my supplies together for Thanksgiving. I was able to find a large tin pan to cook my 17lb. turkey in for $1 at the dollar store. (They were $10 at Meijer.)
      This week is going to be so busy too, but I hope that I will be able to keep up with the blog again.


      Thing One, Thing Two, and I have all had stuffy noses, so I've been keeping the humidifier going during the day.
  
     



     
          Here is a video of Pops and Thing One having fun this weekend at Grandpa's house!


      This is a recipe for our Family Favorite Chili. I make it in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, and then will let it sit all day; everyone being able to serve themselves whenever. This meal is perfect for when I'm busy and can't make 3 meals that day, or am going to be gone for the day. It has two protein sources and is very filling! This can also be made without the meat, or without the beans. You can also add only one can of beans if you want, but I like two. You can vary the seasonings as well. I like a lot of cumin, and only enough chili powder to give it a little bite, not a big kick.

Family Favorite Chili

Ingredients:
2lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

28oz can diced tomatos, undrained
15oz can tomato sauce

2Tbsp ground chili powder
2tsp ground cumin
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
2 15oz cans red kidney beans
shredded cheddar cheese, optional

Directions:
In skillet, cook beef over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown. Drain.
In 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker, mix beef and remaining ingredients except beans and cheese.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
Stir in beans. Increase heat setting to high and cook for another 15 minutes until slightly thickened.
Stir in cheese. 




No comments:

Post a Comment