Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cold Weather and New Goals

       The cold weather is finally starting to set it. It came so fast on us; but that's Michigan for you...
       To keep busy during winter since we can't get out of the house much I'm going to set myself a goal about once a month, and then for a month will try to work on that one goal. For November it's going to be drinking more water. I'm going to try and drink the recommended amount of water in a day for a breastfeeding mother, which is ten 8-ounce glasses.
        I'm going to start slow and will set smaller goals within my bigger goal. This week I'm going to try and drink a glass of water first thing when I get up in the morning, and will drink a glass of water right before I go to bed.
         I will post on here to let everyone know whether or not I will start to feel the benefits of drinking more water such as more energy, better skin, and better sleep.

         With the cold weather coming in I decided to make some cold weather meals. The first one I made was a Parmesan French Onion Soup. I made this last minute and was not prepared so it didn't turn out too great. I didn't think it was too bad, but Pops gave it a 6 out of 10. Maybe someone out there can try it, and actually follow the recipe and will tell me how it turns out!

Parmesan French Onion Soup

3 T. butter, melted
4 cups onions, thinly sliced
1/2 t. sugar
1 T. all-purpose flour
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
4 French bread slices, toasted
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese


In a large saucepan, combine butter, onions and sugar;
 
saute 20 to 25 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
Stir in flour; continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper, blending well. Fill 4 oven-proof bowls with soup; top each with a bread slice and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven until cheese melts. Serves 4.

We didn't have french bread or fresh Parmesan, so I used English muffins and Swiss cheese! We also didn't have regular sugar so I used brown sugar and used too much so the soup was too sweet, and masked the savory-ness of it.

If you make this, PLEASE leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment