Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cheesy Chicken and Rice

      I made a new slowcooker recipe yesterday, and Pops loved it so much he asked me to make it at least once a week! He said it was definatly one of the best things I ever made. It's super simple to make, and only uses 6 ingredients.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
1 -8 ounce box Zatarain’s Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 – 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained

Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over top.

 Spoon cream soup over the top.

Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.  A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese.

Stir to combine. Serve hot.

You'll have to make the rice about a half an hour before you want to serve this, or you can make it the night before and just put it in the fridge for later.

I'm also going to try to leave out the chicken and just make this on the stove as a side dish. (Pops did say that it was so good it didn't even need the chicken, which is a lot coming from Pops!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!

      I did make this on the stove and even though it had a little bit of a different flavor it was still just as good.
      To make it I just started the yellow rice. You have to cover it and let it simmer for about 25 minutes and at that time I added the chopped onion. Once it was done simmering I added the corn, cheese, and cream soup. I wished I had a little chicken stock to add to it, but I didn't have any so I just used about two laddle-fulls of water.

      We ate this as our main dish again, but it can also be used as a side. Maybe for Thanksgiving this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment